Patrick Warburton (while under the guise of Hugo Vasquez)
|Age||27 (Presumed Age)|
|Occupation||President and CEO of Atlas|
Vault Hunter (Determinant)
Former President and CEO of Hyperion (Determinant)
Former Assistant Vice Janitor
Former Hyperion Middle Manager
|Family||Stacey - Ex-Girlfriend |
Sasha - Love interest (Determinant)
Fiona - Love interest (Determinant)
|First Appearance||Zer0 Sum|
|Series lifespan||Zer0 Sum to Present Day|
- "Well, who knows... maybe this is just the beginning."
- —Rhys to Fiona before opening a Vault (Determinant).
Prior to the storyline, Rhys has worked at Hyperion for many years with his friends Vaughn and Yvette. He mentions casually having an ex-girlfriend named Stacey, who he openly dislikes. His goal was to become like his idol Handsome Jack and run Hyperion.
Rhys is an ambitious man who likes to be the center of attention, but he has an understanding mind about his Hyperion position to Pandorans, who would most likely see him as a supporter to Handsome Jack's destruction of their planet. Later on, Rhys disagreed with Jack about becoming a living vessel with him therefore things went downhill on their relationship.
- Possibly thousands of Hyperion employees (Caused)
- Numerous accounts of bandits
- Numerous accounts of skags
- Rakk Hive (Episode 2)
- Gary (Indirectly Caused) (Determinant)
- Yvette (Determinant)
- Handsome Jack (AI) (Determinant)
- Hyperion JR4000 Stun Baton (Can be temporarily borrowed by Sasha).
- "I think I've been missing you to."
- —Sasha to Rhys
In spite of this, Sasha and Rhys become much closer, regardless of Rhys' past. They also share a hug when reunited in Episode 5, if Rhys chose to reject Hyperion. Aside from the common choices; when Fiona and Rhys approach the Vault, there's a romantic option the player can take. Throughout the story, there are many moments that could create a romantic relationship between Rhys and Sasha, should the player decide to do so. He can either admit to liking Sasha and get Fiona's 'blessing' or say he likes someone else, implying that he likes Fiona. The player can also choose not to like either.
- "We did make a good team, didn't we?"
- —Fiona to Rhys
After telling their tales, Rhys and Fiona patch things up and become friends again. Before they enter the Vault, Rhys can either place his trust in Fiona and admit he has feelings for Sasha or chose that he has feelings for someone else; which is heavily implied to be Fiona due to his facial expression towards her, so you get to chose who he likes in the end. At the end of the episode they open the Vault Treasure together, only to be teleported away. What happened to them is currently unknown, but it's likely they found the true treasure of the Vault of the Traveler.
- "I'm sorry, okay? I'm sorry! I would never betray you, bro! Do you forgive me?"
- —Vaughn to Rhys, shortly after his 'betrayal'.
- "'Everyone thinks they're the hero of their own story...'"
- —Handsome Jack, to Rhys during their last talk.
It's rather unclear as to what Handsome Jack and Rhys' relationship is but their similarities are constantly lampshaded by Jack throughout the story. At the beginning of Episode 1, Rhys is shown to be a big fan of Handsome Jack and, like other fans, wanted to become like him. It's revealed that Jack once spat on Rhys when he was alive. Throughout the story, Jack likes to call Rhys by whatever comes to his mind such as 'Rhysie' and 'cupcake' but also degrades him by calling him a 'pitiful little code monkey', believing that Rhys can't follow in his footsteps.
If the player chooses to be somewhat respectful of Jack by the end of Episode 4, he'll give Rhys a one-in-a-lifetime chance to rule Hyperion. If Rhys accepts his offer, Jack becomes enthusiastic and Rhys plugs Jack into Helios' system and shortly announces to everyone on the station that Rhys now rules Hyperion, much to the shock of Fiona and Sasha. Afterwards, Rhys wonders if he can do this to which Jack replies, saying that Pandora, Elpis, and Helios was just the start of their reign. In episode 5, Jack states that he had a plan involving Rhys, who's sitting in the chair with his arms restrained, and the whole desk changes to show a golden endoskeleton standing within. Confused, Rhys then finds out that Jack plans to resurrect himself by putting the endoskeleton into Rhys' body, which Jack states that it would not kill him in the process. Rhys becomes scared and angered as he feels Jack betrayed him and escapes, falling down the trapdoor, where he could or could not end up meeting with Fiona, Sasha and Gortys.
After Helios crashes, Rhys wakes up in an escape pod and wanders around the remnants of the space station, ending up back in Jack's office where he sees a solemn Jack slowly malfunctioning. During their discussion, Jack looks back on everything and says that every time he trusts someone, he loses something in return such as his wives, girlfriend, and Angel, finding out about her death through the database. Later, Rhys goes to leave the office when the injector plugs into his head. Now that Jack's in his brain again, he controls Rhys' arm and strangles him which Jack knows that he would go down alongside Rhys. In order to escape from him once more, Rhys impales his cybernetic arm and forcefully rips it from his body. After the fight, Jack laughs and states that there's nothing Rhys can do. As long as he has his cybernetics, he'll always be there waiting to take him out or just watch him wither away with age. Rhys begins to cut out his ECHO-eye, while Jack is begging him not to do it. Either way, Rhys tear out his eye and AI Jack disappears. Rhys can choose whether to crush AI Jack in his ECHO-Eye and kill him, or keep it and put it in his back pocket where Jack is then trapped inside the void of the ECHO-Eye instead. Near the end of the episode, Fiona asks if he genuinely wants to follow in Jack's footsteps. Rhys replies, saying that he learn one thing from Jack: that Jack was successful, but it doesn't mean that he would follow step by step like Jack did.
- "Rhys... I am so sorry."
- —Yvette to Rhys
- "I have heard a rumor that you are in charge of Atlas now."
- —Cassius to Rhys
- "This is intresting/ I´ve never done this before/ You have done well Rhys."
- —Zer0 to Rhys
- "Righteous father! I've found you!"
- —Loader Bot to Rhys (Determinant)
- "Rhys, I love you, but please stop saying obvious things!"
- —Gortys to Rhys, during their battle against the Traveler (Determinant)
- "But you. I respect you, Rhys. That's why I'am going to make you Assistant...Vice...Janitor."
- —Vasquez depromoding Rhys
- Rhys is voiced by Troy Baker, who also voices Joel in The Last of Us (Ashley Jonhson, who also voices Ellie in The Last of Us, is Gortys' voice actor), Snow Villiers in the Final Fantasy XIII trilogy, Delsin Rowe in InFamous: Second Son (Laura Bailey, who also voices Serah Farron and Abigail "Fetch" Walker in the respective games is Fiona's voice actor).
- In the E3 trailer, he is voiced by Sam Witwer.
- As of now, Tales From The Borderlands is the only Telltale game to have determinant romance options.
- Rhys' Echo-Eye can be changed to Jack-ipidea
- Rhys's shoe size is US 13 as stated by scanning Fiona in Episode 2 "Atlas Mugged".
- Rhys' colorful striped sock is a nod to Troy Baker's own love for colorful striped socks.
- Rhys, Vaughn, Fiona, Loader Bot, Sasha, August, Handsome Jack, and the Kidnapper are the only characters to appear in every episode of the game.
|Hyperion||Rhys • Vaughn • Loader Bot • Jack • Yvette • Hugo • Saul|
|Con artists||Fiona • Sasha • Felix|
|Hollow Point||Tector • Janey • Scooter • Tommy|
|Prosperity Junction||Rudiger • Shade • Penumbra • Bewm • Nakayama • Steele|
|Vallory's Group||August • Kroger • Vallory • Finch • Gary|
|Atlas||Gortys • Cassius • Dumpy • Pollux|
|Bandits||Mask Vendor • Bossanova|
|Vault Hunters||Zer0 • Athena • Brick • Mordecai • CL4P-TP|
|Vault Monsters||The Traveler|
|Unnamed Or Unseen Characters||Kidnapper • Marcus • Moxxi • Lilith • Angel|
|Alive characters appear in green. Dead characters appear in red and italics. Unknown characters appear in blue. Determinant characters appear in purple.|